1. The name of the club shall be The Cotswold & Wyevern Labrador Retriever Club and its object shall be to promote the pure breed of Labrador Retrievers, to hold or support shows and to preserve the working abilities of the breed.
2. The Club shall consist of Patron, President, Vice-President(s), Chairman, Vice Chairman, Hon Secretary, Hon Assistant Secretary, Hon Treasurer, Hon Working Test Secretary and a Committee of not more than 12 Members – and an unlimited number of Members without residential qualifications, whose names and addresses shall be kept by the Hon Secretary and be open to inspection by Members or by The Kennel Club.
3. The Management of the Club shall be in the hands of the Officers and Committee of the Club. One third will retire annually on a three-year rotation.
a. The Chairman, Vice Chairman, Hon Secretary, Hon Treasurer and Hon Working Test Secretary shall be ex-officio Members of the Committee but shall have voting rights. The President and Vice-President(s) shall be ex-officio Members of the Committee but shall not have voting rights.
b. The President and Vice-President(s) once elected to office shall remain in office at their pleasure.
c. Meetings of the Committee shall be held as often as deemed necessary. Five Members will form a quorum. The Committee shall have the power to co-opt members on to the Committee in the event of the positions becoming vacant between General Meetings. Those co-opted shall only hold office until the next General Meeting of the Club at which an election of Officers and Committee takes place.
d. The Chairman and Vice Chairman shall be elected from amongst the Committee by the Committee and shall retire every three years but shall be eligible for re-election.
e. The Hon Secretary, Hon Assistant Secretary, Hon Treasurer, Hon Working Test Secretary and Members of the Committee – one third shall retire annually but shall be eligible for re-election and shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting by ballot. Nominations shall be made in writing – proposed and seconded by members of the Club and with the nominee’s signature of consent and sent by post to the Secretary to arrive not later than 14 clear days before the date of the Annual General Meeting.
f. Voting at all meetings shall be by a show of hands unless otherwise arranged. The Chairman to have a casting vote, and whose ruling on any point shall be binding at the meeting.
4. Candidates for Membership of the Club shall be proposed by one Members and seconded by another, both proposer and seconder to be fully paid up members, and elected or balloted for by the Committee at one of their meetings.
5. The Club will make a list of Members and their addresses available for inspection if so requested by the Members of the Club or by The Kennel Club. A copy of this Membership list will be submitted to The Kennel Club each year as part of the Annual Returns.
6. Each Member shall be entitled to one vote immediately upon acceptance of Membership. Postal votes/proxy votes are not allowed. Voting shall be by secret ballot or a show of hands as decided by the majority at Meeting. Joint Membership are entitled to one vote to each member of the partnership. Junior Members do not have a vote.
7. The Property of the Club shall be vested in the Committee in the event of the Club ceasing to exist, a final General Meeting shall be called to decide the disposal of the Club’s assets and the outcome of the meeting notified to The Kennel Club together with final statement of accounts forwarded to The Kennel Club within six months. (N.B. The KC requires that the persons named as Officers and Committee of the Club will be held responsible by the Kennel Club for the proper winding up of the Club. The KC advise that Clubs obtain written acknowledgements from donors of Cups and Trophies that they are given as outright gifts to the Club.)
8. An account shall be opened with a bank in the name of The Cotswold & Wyevern Labrador Retriever Club, into which the revenue of the Club shall be paid and from which withdrawals shall be made upon the signature of the Hon Treasurer and either the Chairman or the Hon Secretary as a counter signatories.
The Accounts shall be kept by the Hon Treasurer and one qualified Auditor shall be appointed at each Annual General Meeting who shall audit the Club’s accounts for the ensuing year before the Annual General Meeting.
9. The Annual Subscription shall be as decided by the Membership at an Annual General Meeting and be payable to the Hon Treasurer on the 1st January each year. No Member whose subscription is unpaid shall be entitled to any privileges of Membership and, if any Member shall fail to pay the Annual Subscription by March 1st, the Committee shall have the power to erase his name from the list of Members, but if the Committee shall subsequently receive a satisfactory explanation the Members may, at the discretion of the Committee and upon payment of the arrears, be re-admitted to Membership.
10. Any Member who shall be suspended under Kennel Club rule A42j (4) and/or any member whose dog(s) is/are disqualified under Kennel Club Rule A42j (8) shall ipso facto cease to be a Member of the Society for the duration of the suspension and/or disqualification.
If the conduct of any Member shall in the opinion of the Committee of the Club be injurious to the character or interests of the Club, the Committee may, at a meeting the notice convening which includes an object the consideration the conduct of the Member, determine that a Special General Meeting of the Club shall be called for the purpose of passing a resolution to expel him/her.
Notice of the Special General Meeting shall be sent to the accused Member, giving particulars of the complaint and advising the place date and hour of the Meeting that he/she may attend and offer an explanation. If at the meeting a resolution to expel is passed by a two-thirds majority of the Members present and voting, his/her name shall forthwith be erased from the list of Members, and he/she shall thereupon cease for all purposes to be a Member of the Club except that he/she may, within two calendar months from the date of such Meeting, appeal to The Kennel Club upon and subject to such condition as The Kennel Club may impose.
If the Member is expelled the Secretary must submit a report in writing to the Kennel Club within 7 days of the Special Meeting and must supply any particulars required.
11. The financial year of the Club shall be from January 1st – December 31st. The Annual General Meeting shall be held before May 31st.
12 a. The Annual General Meeting shall be held at such time and place as the Committee shall appoint and at least 6 weeks notice in writing or by Notice in the Canine Press shall be given to all Members. The Notice will advise when items are required by the Secretary for inclusion on the Agenda. The agenda will be circulated at The Annual General Meeting.
The Annual General Meeting shall be held for the following purpose:
To receive the report of the Committee and the balance sheet, to elect Officers, and to discuss any resolutions duly placed on the Agenda of which 14 days prior notice has been given to the Secretary. No business shall be transacted at The Annual General Meeting unless notice thereof appears on the Agenda, with the exception of routine matters or those which in the opinion of the Chairman of the meeting are urgent.
12 b. A Special General Meeting shall be summoned by the Hon Secretary if 35 Members send a signed requisition stating the subject to be discussed and requesting a Special General Meeting to do so.
The Committee of the Society is also empowered to call a Special General Meeting.
No Business other than that detailed on the Agenda can be discussed at a Special General Meeting. The Committee will convene such a Special General Meeting at a time and place agreed by the Committee and the Membership shall be notified either in writing or by Notice in the Canine Press.
13. The Rules of the Society may not be altered except at a General Meeting, the Agenda for which contains specific proposals to amend the Rules. Any proposed alteration to the Rules may not be brought into effect until The Kennel Club has been advised and has approved the alteration.
14. The Officers acknowledge that during the month of January each year, Maintenance Title Fee will be forwarded to The Kennel Club by the Secretary for continuance of Registration and that by July 31st each year other returns as stipulated by The Kennel Club Regulations for the Registration and Maintenance of Title of Societies and Breed Councils and the Affiliation of Agricultural Societies and Municipal Authorities be forwarded to The Kennel Club. The Officers also acknowledge their duty to inform The Kennel Club of any changes of Secretary to the Society which may occur during the course of the year.
15. The Kennel Club shall be the final court of appeal in all matters of dispute.
16. The Society shall not join any Federation of Societies or clubs.
17. No person whilst an undischarged bankrupt may serve on the Committee of or hold any other office or appointment within a Kennel Club Registered Society.
18. The Club will produce a list of Judges each year which will be submitted to The Kennel Club as part of The Annual Returns. Membership of the Club shall not be a prerequisite for inclusion of the lists. The date on which the list will expire will be indicated. The lists will be divided into five parts: -
A1 persons who have previously been approved by The Kennel Club to award Challenge Certificates in the breed and have carried out the appointment.
A2 indicates all persons who, if invited by a Society would in principle be approved by the Kennel Club to award Challenge Certificates in the breed for that occasion.
A3 indicates all persons who are recommended as being suitable to award Challenge Certificates should they be invited to so do but are not yet approved by The Kennel Club.
B indicates persons approved to judge the breed at shows without Challenge Certificates.
C indicates all persons who do not fall into the above categories.